Monday, February 22, 2010

Art from the Heartland at Indy Art Center


On January 29th, 2010 the Indianapolis Art Center held the reception for their Biennial Art From the Heartland show, which will be on display until April 18th. This show was juried by Paul Klein of the Art Letter-a contemporary art curator from Chicago and was really wide open except that the Artists needed to be from Indiana and the surrounding states.

It was pretty cool to see both of my images that were in the show being showcased in the newsclip. 


I was fortunate to have 2 images selected for the show, both from my boxing project, and both of my good buddy Denzel. The entire show is really fantastic with some amazing works by a wide variety of artists with a broad swath of styles. You really owe it to yourself to take a few minutes and see all the work that is on display at this show, if not just to come and check out my work!
The reception was a ton of fun and it was so great to have so many friends and family come out and support both me, my work, and the Indianapolis Arts community. Thanks to all of you who continue to do this. I really appreciate it.  My Godfather, Uncle Bill, made the trek down from "the region."

 Scott Champagne and Matt Lynch came by to see all the great art work.  Scott, Matt and I were good friends in High School, and although Matt and I talk and see each other often, we have just recently caught back up with Scott.  Matt and I were in many Art classes together growing up and he is now part of the art collaboration group Simparch and a Professor at the University of Cincinnati.  He has been invaluable in helping me with venturing into the art world.
And, of course, my dear friend Holly Jordan who really challenged me to start getting my work into a gallery show in the first place, and is always pushing me to do more.  Thanks Holly!

Remember that the entire show will be up at the Indianapolis Art Center for a couple more months so try to find the time to get over there to see some great works.  The Indianapolis Art Center is North of Broad Ripple on 67th St just East of College Avenue.
820 East 67thStreet Indianapolis,IN46220 
http://www.indplsartcenter.org/

...and I can never thank Tim Streett of Jireh Sports and Coach Patrick Hutchinson from Bad Boyz Boxing Club enough for allowing me such open access to the gym and to Tevin, Dajon, Denzel, Cody, Q, Keon and Dwayne for being such great subjects and always just being themselves in front of the camera.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment